Friday, December 9, 2011

Day 13

SURGERY DAY!!
This is going to be the longest, hardest day so far in my life! They let me kiss her and talk to her for about an hour before her surgery. It has been very hard not being able to do this for the last week in a half. She would smile everytime, I would say Mason is going to hold her and that me and him where going to fight over who gets to hold her, I told her how much she loved by so many people, and how many prayers are being said in her behalf. I am amazed at how many people out there are. Her name is in quite a few temples, actually the St. George temple has had her name quite a few times, so thank you so much for the continuous prayers and thoughts.
As I sit here and the minutes feel like hours, we got an update, they were having an extremely hard time getting in all of the lines that they needed in her. After that, every phone call I hope they call Halle's name, it means there an update. We have now been sitting here for 3+ hours and have only had 1 update. My nerves are getting the best of me at this moment, and my mind is wondering which is never a good thing. All I can do is pray and feel very helpless. It's a horrible way to feel.
The surgeon finally comes out, at hour 4, and said everything went fine, they were able to go through the side to the back. It was a very good thing they did that it was so much less risky, if they would of done it through the front they would of had to split her ribs and put her on a bypass machine. The side they went In between the ribs. A sigh of relief went over my body. He did say this could happen again, but next time they could use a balloon thing to open the aorta, and it not be so invasive. 2 hours later we were finally able to see her. We walked down a hallway and it opened up to a bunch of rooms. We were in room 12 we walked in, I was not as prepared as I thought I would be to see her.
She was swollen, of course but all of the tubes and wires, that were coming out of her tiny swollen body was sad. She was still out from the anesthetic from surgery. They had to x-rays, and when they did that her chest tube fell out! So they had to sterilize her again to put it back in. The one IV thing that takes her blood pressure every time her heart beats, has made her whole right leg a purple bluish color, they are trying to get the blood flow back in it. The nurse had told us they had to use a lot more blood than they were anticipating. From that it look as though her skin was so dry and flaking off, she looked awful/scary.
She is doing well considering she just had heart surgery, she has had a little problem with her blood pressure and her carbon dioxide came way up, they had to mess with her vent settings to help her out.
We left to go get dinner, and when we came back she looked a little better, she opened her eyes a little bit, and was moving around a little bit too. She is on blood pressure medicine, but not much. They got her carbon dioxide down to a more normal range. It was an extremely long day, that I never want to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment