Monday, December 5, 2011

Nicu day 6

She is one week old today!
It is not a good day. She is struggling breathing, her little chest just caves in they are giving her a lot of oxygen, and she can stay stable for a little bit then she just can't do it any longer. All day we had to mess with her c-pap it just wasn't working for her. They also found bloody stuff in her feeding tube so they stopped her feeds. This is a big sign of a very serious bowel infection. Very common in babies that have her heart defect. She just kept getting worse!
This was an awful day, my heart completely broke! She would look at me, and I could just tell how miserable she was. It's the worst feeling in the world to know there's nothing you can do, but watch her struggle. The day was a down ward spiral. I really wish I could forget it.
My family did come up later this day, and took me to dinner, while the Nicu was closed. I came back and she was still the same struggling, and her blood gas was worse, That's a blood test they do to check the carbon dioxide and she was not venting it out, her body was starting to fail. I had to leave and go to sleep my body was just to tired to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment